We all experience challenges and difficulties in our lives that can leave us feeling stuck, overwhelmed, and unsure of how to move forward. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a unique and powerful approach that can help us create meaningful change in our lives, by learning to accept what we cannot control and take committed action towards what matters to us.
What is ACT?
ACT is a therapeutic approach that is based on the principles of mindfulness, acceptance, and behavioural change. It is founded on the premise that our suffering is not caused by our experiences, but by our attempts to avoid, control or eliminate the uncomfortable thoughts and feelings that arise from them. The ultimate goal of ACT is to help individuals develop psychological flexibility, by teaching them how to be present, accept what is out of their control, and take action towards what is important to them.
The principles of ACT
ACT is based on six core principles that guide the therapeutic process. These principles include:
- Acceptance: accepting all of our thoughts and feelings, whether they are pleasant or unpleasant, without trying to change or avoid them.
- Defusion: distancing ourselves from our thoughts, so that they lose their power to control us.
- Contact with the present moment: being mindful of the here and now, and letting go of the past and the future.
- Self-as-Context: recognizing that we are not our thoughts, feelings, or experiences, but rather the context in which they occur.
- Values: clarifying our values and setting meaningful goals that align with them.
- Committed action: taking action towards our values, even when it is difficult or uncomfortable.
The benefits of ACT
ACT has been shown to be an effective approach for a variety of issues, including anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and stress. By learning the principles of ACT, individuals can develop greater resilience, self-awareness, and acceptance, which can lead to meaningful and lasting change in their lives.
At the International Psychology Clinic in London, we offer Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in London to help individuals create meaningful change in their lives. Our experienced therapists provide a supportive and non-judgmental environment, where clients can learn the principles of ACT and develop the skills they need to overcome their challenges. If you're interested in learning more about our ACT therapy service, don't hesitate to get in touch and book a session. We're here to support you on your journey towards greater well-being and fulfilment.