Learning Difficulties Counselling in London | Treatment & Therapy
What are Specific Learning Difficulties?
Specific Learning Difficulties (also known as SpLDs), affect the way information is learned and processed. The term 'Specific Learning Difficulties' has been defined as a particular difficulty in one area of learning in a child who performs satisfactorily in other areas'. These problems often run in families and they occur in all racial groups and economic backgrounds.
The most common SpLDs which may be found in mainstream classrooms are:
- Dyslexia: problems with reading, writing and spelling;
- Dyscalculia: problems with numbers;
- Dysgraphia: problems with handwriting;
- Dyspraxia: problems with movement and coordination.
Signs of Specific Learning Difficulties
- Lack of enthusiasm for reading or writing;
- Poor memory;
- Problems with math skills;
- Difficulties reading and/or writing;
- Working at a slow pace;
- Trouble following instructions;
- Trouble staying focused on a task;
- Difficulty understanding abstract ideas;
- Lack of attention to detail, or too much attention to detail;
- Poor social skills;
- Disruptive behaviours.
Treatment for Specific Learning Difficulties in London
Children with Specific Learning Difficulties may experience school as a difficult life experience. Children with SpLDs who fail in school may feel 'stupid', but emotional or mental health problems, not low intelligence, often are the root causes of their inability to meet the standards required. Children with Learning Difficulties are often bullied and tend to present with poor self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy. The most effective treatment for Specific Learning Difficulties is a multidisciplinary approach that includes speech therapy, occupational therapy and therapeutic support.
For more information about talking therapy and Learning Difficulties treatment programmes available at our Clinics in London please visit our Treatment page.
Getting Psychological Therapy for Specific Learning Difficulties in London
Learning Difficulties Counselling Team
All our Therapists offer Psychological Therapies for Specific Learning Difficulties counselling in London. Click here to meet the Team.
Private Healthcare Providers