Personality Disorders Counselling London | Milan | Rome | Online
What are Personality Disorders?
Personality Disorders (also known as PD) are mental health conditions that affect how the individual cope with life, particularly in how they relate to other people. The onset of Personality Disorders occurs in adolescence or early adulthood.
According to the DSM 5 the essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of pathological personality traits. To diagnose a personality disorder, the following criteria must be met:
- Significant impairments in self (identity or self-direction) and interpersonal (empathy or intimacy) functioning.
- One or more pathological personality trait domains or trait facets.
- The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are relatively stable across time and consistent across situations.
- The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are not better understood as normative for the individual's developmental stage or socio-cultural environment.
- The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are not solely due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., severe head trauma).
Signs of Personality Disorders
Personality Disorders have four core features in common:
- Presence of distorted thoughts and maladaptive behaviour.
- Emotional dysregulation.
- Persistent relational problems.
The specific personality disorders are grouped into the following three clusters based on descriptive similarities:
- Cluster A: PD characterised by odd or eccentric behaviours. This group includes Paranoid PD, Schizoid PD, Schizotypal PD.
- Cluster B: PD characterised by dramatic, emotional or erratic behaviours. This group includes Antisocial PD, Borderline PD, Histrionic PD, Narcissistic PD.
- Cluster C: PD characterised by anxious or fearful behaviours. This groups include Avoidant PD, Dependent PD, Obsessive-compulsive PD.
Treatment for Personality Disorders
For more information about talking therapies and treatment programmes available at our Clinics in London, Milan and Rome please visit our Treatment page.
We offer Psychological Therapies for Personality Disorders to Adults at our clinics in City of London, London Bridge, London Kensington, London Islington, London Marylebone, London Oxford Circus, Milan City Life, Rome San Giovanni, Rome Piazza Bologna, Rome Garbatella and Online worldwide.
All our Therapists offer Psychological Therapies for Personality Disorders to Adults. Click here to meet the Team.