Couples Therapy in London | Marriage Counselling London
What is Couples Therapy?
Couples Therapy, also known as Relationship Counselling utilises Evidence Based Practises to address issues in the relationship and instill skills to resolve conflict and promote healthy growth. Couples therapy will focus on changing how you perceive your relationship and promote accountability in regard to thoughts, feelings, and behaviour. A goal of Couples Therapy & Counselling is to improve communication between the two parties, verbally and nonverbally. Relationship Therapy & Counselling will allow you to identify strengths in yourself and in your partner. Couples Therapy will require you to look at the relationship objectively, identify destructive or toxic behaviours, improve communication, and identify the positive aspects of the relationship-what is working in the relationship.
Couples Therapy may also be useful when facing challenging decisions within the relationship for example, divorce, separation, and how to communicate these decisions to children or family members. Relationship Therapy is a supportive service that aims to instill the ability to practise self-care and effective communication. Couples Therapy & Counselling may be used as a brief-intervention but is typically structured and consists of guided and intentional discussions to address issues or challenges in the relationship.
How does Couples Therapy work?
While attending Marriage Counselling sessions, you and your partner will:
- work with the therapist individually and together to examine the challenges you’re facing in the relationship.
- practise communication (verbal and nonverbal) with your partner and learn what healthy and unhealthy communication entails.
- identify and process current problems in the relationship and discuss these with your therapist and your partner.
- work with your therapist to learn and practise healthy communication techniques to use in and outside of the office.
- be asked to complete tasks outside of the office that is referred to as “homework”. This may consist of documenting behaviours happening at home or work, in the form of lists, journaling, or creative writing.
- participate in sessions that occur one time per week and last approximately 50 minutes.
What is Couples Therapy good for
Couples therapy is a type of therapy that is specifically designed to help couples improve their communication, increase intimacy, and resolve conflicts. The main goal of couples therapy is to help partners build a stronger, healthier relationship by working on their issues together.
There are many reasons why couples therapy can be useful, including:
- Improved Communication: Communication is a key component of any healthy relationship. Couples therapy can help partners learn new ways to communicate effectively with one another. This can help to reduce misunderstandings, prevent arguments, and increase understanding.
- Conflict Resolution: Disagreements and conflicts are a normal part of any relationship. Couples therapy can help partners learn how to resolve conflicts in a constructive and respectful way. By learning how to handle disagreements in a healthy manner, couples can reduce the chances of arguments escalating into more serious issues.
- Increased Intimacy: Intimacy is a vital part of any healthy relationship. Couples therapy can help partners learn new ways to connect with one another emotionally and physically. This can help to strengthen the bond between partners.
Getting Couples Counselling in London
We offer Couples Therapy at our clinics in Central London.
Therapists for Marriage Counselling London
All our Therapists offer Couples Therapy. Click here to meet the Team.
Fees for Couples Therapy in London
Sessions with our Psychologists are by prepaid appointments only. You can find out more about our fees on our Fees Page.
Useful links on Couples Therapy
Find Relationship counselling services - NHS
Couples therapy The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
What to Expect When You Go to Couples Therapy The Gottman Institute
Recent Blog Posts on Couples Therapy
Loneliness is the state of being alone and feeling sad about it. People can be alone and not feel lonely, or they can have contact with people and still experience feelings of isolation. 1. Causes of loneliness in marriage There …
I feel lonely in my marriage: What to do and how to cope READ MORE
Every couple experiences disagreements and conflicts from time to time, but when those negative patterns persist and worsen over time, it can feel like an insurmountable obstacle to a happy, healthy relationship. Couple’s therapy can help couples identify and break …
Breaking the Cycle of Negative Patterns: Couples Therapy for a Healthier Relationship READ MORE
Long-distance relationships have become increasingly common in recent years, with more and more couples facing the challenge of being apart for extended periods of time. While these relationships can be rewarding and fulfilling, they also present unique challenges that can …
Long-Distance Love: How Remote Couples Therapy Can Strengthen Your Relationship READ MORE
Private Healthcare Providers