Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing | EMDR in London
What is Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)?
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a research-supported psychotherapy designed to treat symptoms caused by trauma and posttraumatic stress. This is a structured therapy and consists of 8 phases. Sessions may range between 3 and 12 sessions, depending on mental health issue. EMDR is compatible with other therapies and is a structured therapy and follows a sequence of phases. EMDR posits that memories of adverse life experiences may have been suppressed due to intensity, and that this may be associated with negative emotions and physical sensations.
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) seeks to identify how previous adverse experiences and emotions caused by the aforementioned experiences, impact you today and how to reprocess them so that they are less disruptive to you in the future. EMDR was originally designed to treat posttraumatic stress and the skills learned in EMDR treatment are versatile and able to address additional adverse experiences and negative beliefs.
How does EMDR in London work?
While attending EMDR sessions, you will:
- work with your therapist to identify and process memories of negative or traumatic events you have experienced.
- use external stimulus in the form of taps, eye movement, or tones when accessing a negative memory, allowing you to create a new association.
- work with your therapist to identify specific events you would like to address.
- learn how to cope with distressing events from the past and present in a healthy way that will promote stabilisation and self-control.
- practise self-awareness and mindfulness techniques in the office- being aware of tension in your body.
- participate in sessions that occur one time per week and last approximately 90 minutes.
Getting Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) in London
All our Therapists offer Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR). Click here to meet the Team.
Fees for EMDR in London
Sessions with our Psychologists are by prepaid appointments only. You can find out more about our fees on our Fees Page.