Gestalt Therapy in London
What is Gestalt Therapy?
Gestalt Therapy is an experiential and humanistic form of therapy. It focuses on self-development and growth, and the entirety of an individual’s experience: thoughts, feelings, and actions. A goal of Gestalt Therapy is to enhance self-awareness and self-direction. Gestalt Therapy is rooted in the holistic mindset that individuals are influenced by their environments and strive to achieve balance and growth. This therapeutic modality posits that an individual cannot be understood without understanding of the context they exist in- including experiences.
Gestalt Therapy focuses on helping individuals to increase self-awareness while learning to accept and trust their sensations and experiences to alleviate distress. This therapy focuses on the present as opposed to the past and issues rooted in the past, allowing the individual to discover masked emotions and experiences that are suppressed. Gestalt Therapy has been used for brief crisis interventions to help alleviate symptoms associated with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), alcohol and drug abuse, depression, or anxiety disorders.
How does Gestalt Therapy in London work?
While attending Gestalt Therapy sessions, you will:
- work with your therapist to learn self-awareness techniques.
- dentify and process feelings and discuss varying intensities of these identified feelings.
- work with your therapist to gain awareness of thoughts and feelings in the present moments and identify triggers for these responses.
- utilise techniques such as role-play, dialogue, and mindfulness in regard to body language.
- be asked to participate in tasks outside of the office that will be referred to as “homework”. This may entail making lists, journaling, or identifying thoughts and behaviour patterns.
- participate in sessions that occur one time per week and last approximately 50 minutes.
All our Therapists offer Gestalt Therapy. Click here to meet the Team.
Fees for Gestalt Therapy in London
Sessions with our Psychologists are by prepaid appointments only. You can find out more about our fees on our Fees Page.