Schema Therapy in London
What is Schema Therapy (ST)?
Schema Therapy (also known as ST) is considered an innovative and integrated therapeutic approach (it combines the strongest aspects of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Experiential, Interpersonal, and Psychoanalytic Therapies) and focuses on lifelong behavioural patterns of individuals. ST incorporates several focuses as opposed to having a singular focus and will emphasise patterns of behaviour, change techniques, and the therapeutic relationship. This therapeutic modality is commonly used to treat personality disorders and the difficulties associated with personality disorders. Schema Therapy is a long-term therapeutic intervention as it is used to treat chronic health conditions.
ST focuses on childhood experiences and problematic behaviours that are driven by schemas. Schemas are considered to be core beliefs an individual obtains based on experiences throughout their life and their perceptions of these experiences. Schemas have a critical impact on an individual’s identity. Schema Therapy is a long-term intervention.
How does Schema Therapy (ST) work?
While attending Schema Therapy sessions, you will:
- work with your therapist to identify and process events from childhood that have created schemas in your life.
- learn to identify underlying causes of the created schemas and prompt you to practice expressing this information verbally and nonverbally.
- be asked to complete assessment questionnaires and participate in therapeutic techniques such as role-playing.
- identify and process changes in behavioural patterns that reflect your values system and are healthy to use in your environment.
- participate in sessions that occur one time per week and last approximately 50 minutes.
All our Therapists offer Schema Therapy. Click here to meet the Team.
Fees for Schema Therapy in London
Sessions with our Psychologists are by prepaid appointments only. You can find out more about our fees on our Fees Page.